Inside Advanced Energy's
Motor Test Lab
A quarterly publication for companies applying electric motors.
PEV: A Leading Edge in Motor Repair
Currently, we have two new motor service centers in the testing phase of our quality assurance program for motor repair, Proven Efficiency Verification (PEV). In addition, three additional service centers are working towards PEV certification and have completed on-site assessments. Our before and after repair testing requirements from our nationally-accredited lab is what truly makes our program different from all of the others. Our application process to obtain PEV certification includes a thorough onsite evaluation of the service center's ability to maintain efficiency during the repair process. With PEV certification, service centers and their customers gain an edge in the marketplace. By ensuring a motor service center's ability to maintain efficiency during the repair process, the service center and then their customers are contributing to energy savings and reducing energy costs. PEV certification assists service centers in:
- Standardizing motor repair processes;
- Providing pre- and post-repair data;
- Demonstrating quality with third-party verification; and
- Offering high-quality repairs that meet new efficiency levels.
PEV-certified repair service centers help their customers:
- Improve reliability
- Increase productivity
- Reduce energy consumption
- Be competitive
Current PEV-certified motor service centers include:
- Hupp Electric Motors of Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Valid certificate since 2000.
- Shermco Industries, Inc. of Irving, Texas. Valid certificate since 2002.
- American Electric Motors, Memphis, Tenn. Valid certificate since 2008.
- Industrial Motor Services, a division of the Electrical Equipment Company of Richmond, Va. Valid certificate since 2009.
- Industrial Electric Motor Works, Inc. of Meridian, Miss. Valid certificate since 2010.
- Tennessee Armature and Electric, Knoxville, Tenn. Valid certificate since 2010.
Click here for more information on our PEV program.
Spotlight: Innovative Testing
We are always exploring new ways we can help OEMs and businesses lead the way in energy efficiency. For example:
- Initial Diligence for Market Viability:
Our Motors and Drives team has been busy conducting initial diligence and market research for Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers (KPC&B), a global investment firm. As part of their Greentech innovation goals, KPC&B is investigating opportunities related to investing in early-stage and breakthrough technologies and is working with our team of experts to determine viability of motor-related products. Advanced Energy has provided reports on three organizations of interest to KPC&B to date. We look forward to the opportunity to continue working to find motors- and drive-related products that advanced the green economy.
AE's New Motor Lab Manager
We'd like to introduce our new Motor Lab Manager, Matt Davey. Matt spent almost two years working in our lab as a co-op student while achieving his B.S. in Mechanical Engineering at North Carolina State University. Before coming back to Advanced Energy, Matt previously worked as a support technician and then an application consultant with EnergyICT.
Advanced Energy's Motor Test Lab is busy assisting several companies in obtaining their CC numbers to meet the increasing regulations for improved energy efficiency. Not sure if you meet all of the new regulations? We can help! For more information about our motor testing and consulting capabilities, visit Advanced Energy’s web site or contact Kitt Butler at (919) 857-9017.